We decided to head down to Fresno again over Labor Day weekend. We went down on Sunday after attending sacrament meeting at an earlier ward. We were surprised to hear on our way down to Fresno, that Scotty might be released from the hospital soon. In fact, that day, September 4th, Scotty was released from the hospital. He completed his first round of chemotherapy and will be able to stay home until he begins his next round. Basically, they said he would be in the hospital about one week out of every month, for the next eight months. We went over to see Scotty when we got into town on Sunday. He was surprised to see us and said to Chris, "What are you doing here?" Chris responded by saying, "Well...I was here when you went into the hospital and thought I should be here when you came home too!" Scotty was very physically weak, but mentally strong (at least when we are all around). He tired very easily and a short walk would exhaust him. It was so nice to visit with him and just talk. It was just Chris and I and Scott and Steph when we went over to their house. I talked with Steph in depth about his treatment protocols. What I will remember most about that day was Steph grabbing for her binder of stuff. In it, there treatment protocols, medicine schedules, etc. etc. I remember her saying that Scott was already taking 16 pills a day and soon they would be adding another ten. Steph had charts and notes to keep track of Scott's medications....a regimen that would soon include those 26 pills a day. It was evident how happy Steph was to have Scotty home. While we hung out, Scott and Steph shared with me that they had a goal to go to the temple to be sealed. I was overjoyed and so excited for them. They were going to start taking the temple prep classes (along with Mom and Dad) very soon. I was already thinking about the day when Chris' family could be sealed, parents to children and Scott and Steph to their own children. What a blessing that will be!!
I know Scotty was nervous about coming home, leaving the constant care of nurses and doctors, protection from germs and such. Their house was cleaned/disinfected from floor to ceiling by friends and family before Scott arrived home. They couldn't take any chances of Scott being exposed to anything. I marveled at Steph's strength as she cared for her sick husband. She was on top of everything and knew just how to care for her hubby while somehow tending to her three young children as well. The kids were so happy to have Daddy home. They weren't permitted to visit in the hospital, so other than SKYPE, they hadn't been able to see their Daddy. It was nice that now they could be together as a family, even if Daddy wasn't always feeling great!!!
There was also lots of family in town this weekend....Aunt Sharon and Uncle Terril, Aunt Linda and Uncle Ross and Aunt Florence. It was nice to visit with them amidst everything else that was going on. We left Labor Day Monday to head back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment