I was awake in the guestroom at my parent's house around 6:00 a.m. I was just laying there when I heard Chris open the door (he had been sleeping in the front bedroom with Grant) and come in. I knew. I knew that Scottty had died. He didn't even have to speak the words, but he did. "Scotty's gone." In so many ways, it was the worst moment of our lives, but we were also very grateful that he was not suffering anymore. That he was now with our Heavenly Father, joined by family members, singing with heavenly choirs. On Monday, September 19th, Scotty died at the young age of 33.
I quickly threw on some clothes and a hat. Chris had known for a little while so he was already showered and ready to go. We met the rest of our immediate family at the hospital, sans children. We walked somberly to Scotty's room. It was very difficult to see his lifeless body, to hold his cold hands, and even more difficult to see Steph and Mom and Dad. We all had a chance to say goodbye to our sweet brother/husband/son and then Chris prayed over Scott again. It was emotional to leave his room, but we all walked out together...as a family. Though it was difficult to leave the hospital room that day, we were all anxious to go home to our children. We had the daunting task of telling our children about Scotty's passing, but we really just wanted to hug our kids a little tighter that day. Steph hadn't seen much of her kids that entire week and I know they missed her as much as she missed them.
Steph said Scott died that morning around 5:00 a.m. She said that she had crawled in bed with him so that she could be close to him. She was laying on his chest and said that the only way she knew he had passed away was because she could no longer feel her hair moving from his breaths. I bawled when she told me this. Such a sweet, tender mercy. She was there with him when he took his last breath. That is why she never left his side. And it was how he would've wanted it. When Scotty was so bad when he was initially admitted to the hospital earlier that week, he did not want to be without Steph. He panicked when she left his side. There was an unconditional love that was very evident and I am so glad that she was there with him when he died. We know that Scotty is with our Father in Heaven. We know that he is no longer suffering pain and that he is in a much better place. We are grateful for the gospel and our testimony of eternal families. We know that we will see Scotty again and that our family will be together forever. We love you Scotty and will miss you!
1 comment:
Lisa, These posts about Scotty have been heartwrenching to read. I think you have done amazing justice to your feelings on the subject. How hard those times must have been and still continue to be for your family. It is plain to see what a source of strength you and Chris are to your families. Isn't it wonderful that families are Forever?
Post a Comment